Skip to content
Ardens Sed Virens, 2017
Clogherney Presbyterian Church, entrance foyer
Commissioned by: Clogherney Church Committee
Materials: Artwork in ceramic
Techniques: Carved and coloured ceramics with coloured slips and glazes
Dimensions: 1.5m x 1.5m
Depiction of the Presbyterian Church symbol ‘Ardens Sed Virens’ , the Burning Bush.
16 ceramic tiles , carved and coloured, representing the symbol of the Presbyterian Church- the Burning Bush.
Ardens Sed Virens- Burning but flourishing
Irish Presbyterians use the inscription; ardens sed virens ‘burning but flourishing’. The earliest Irish use of a burning bush symbol was in the first edition of the twice weekly Presbyterian newspaper The Banner of Ulster, published on 10th June 1842. The editor, Rev William Gibson of Third Belfast, featured a burning bush with an open Bible beneath. On either side of the bush was an Irish wolfhound and an Irish harp. A shamrock and thistle were intertwined and an Irish round tower featured in the background. Within fifteen years the symbol was simplified to the now more familiar burning bush and Latin inscription.